First off if you will take a look at the below picture, I have a very steep jaw line. As Dr. Park put it, great for looking pretty, but not so great for chewing. Most people's jaw lines have more of a square to it like the smaller red line.
This next image is basically what took place in the surgery. Dr. Park cut segments of my maxillary bone and plated them back together to create a slight overbite. He brought my jaw slightly forward, over, and down.
The red lines are approximately where the cuts were made in the bone. The surgery was very close to my occipital nerves (two little dots below eyes) and that is why I am numb. No nerves were cut or anything, they were just banged up a little. Same thing for the bleeding down the throat thing, this was right by my sinus' so, they ooze slightly. :)
This shows the side image of the wedges of bone removed.
These are similar to the plates that were screwed into my face. I have 4 plates, two on the side of my nose, and two placed underneath by my upper lip (sorta). The incision to do the surgery was entirely inside my mouth along the upper part of my lip (which is why I have sores all around my lips because there was some major stretching). I also had my top two wisdom teeth removed at the same time.
So because this wasn't a mandibular surgery, or lower jaw, I did not have to be wired shut. The only time I was wired was during the surgery when Dr. Park was plating my jaw in the correct place.
I hope this helps clear up a little about what happened! I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner. Ha, love you guys!




No comments:
Post a Comment